Transporting Data Loggers with Lithium Batteries
Many of Gemini’s Data Loggers are powered by lithium batteries (‘lithium metal cells’) which have regulations restricting their transportation by road, sea or air due to the hazardous nature of lithium.
Most data loggers being used for logging applications will be exempt from these regulations (see Data Loggers Used in Air, Sea & Road Shipments) however when shipping larger quantities (e.g. returning more than four loggers to Gemini for service calibration) the following regulations must be complied with.
The shipping details given here are general guidelines that cover the majority of cases, but customers are advised to check their local regulations and any carrier specific requirements (one notable exception in the UK is the Royal Mail who have specific labelling requirements).
Shipping Instructions for Data Loggers with Lithium Batteries:
1. Pack loggers in strong, rigid outer packaging to protect them from damage (e.g. a ridged cardboard box).
2. DO NOT INCLUDE ANY LOOSE BATTERIES OR SERVICE KITS IN THE PACKAGE - ONLY BATTERIES INSIDE DATA LOGGERS.
3. DO NOT INCLUDE DAMAGED DATA LOGGERS OR DATA LOGGERS WITH DAMAGED BATTERIES IN.
4. Attach a Lithium Warning Label to the package. Please note, this label must be printed in black and red as shown in the link. The minimum size is 120 x 110mm, and the telephone number of someone knowledgeable about the shipment must be added.
5. The package must be accompanied by a separate Lithium Safety Document that states:
- This package contains lithium metal cells contained IN EQUIPMENT (ICAO/IATA Packing Instruction 970, Section II).
- The package must be handled with care and that a flammability hazard exists if the package is damaged.
- If this package is damaged in transportation, it must not be loaded until the conditions of the contents can be verified. The batteries contained in this package must be inspected for damage and may only be repacked if they are intact and protected against short circuits.
- For more information about the batteries contained in this package, call the following telephone number: **YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER**
6. All batteries in the data loggers must meet the requirements in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, Subsection 38.3 and must contain less than 1g of lithium (all batteries supplied by Gemini meet these requirements).
CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CHECKING THE COMPLIANCE OF ANY REPLACEMENT BATTERIES NOT SUPPLIED BY GEMINI. PLEASE NOTE THAT MANY REPLACEMENT LITHIUM 'C' CELLS (THE BATTERY USED BY SOME RADIO LOGGERS) CONTAIN MORE THAN 1g OF LITHIUM SO MUST BE SHIPPED AS 'DANGEROUS GOODS'.
For further information including the shipment of lithium batteries not inside the loggers themselves please read the IATA (international Air Transport Association) Guidance Document. Although this document relates to air transport, it will generally ensure compliance with the regulations for road and sea transport which are similar.